Monday, May 9, 2011

Movie Review Water for Elephants

I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day
It was a beautiful day here in Pennsylvania very sunny and warm
Usually my sisters and I take our Mom out to antique stores after our brunch
but this year we decided to go see the movie
Water for Elephants
We all loved the book written by Sara Gruen
Unfortunately we could not all go so it ended up being my sister Judith, My Mom, me
and Amber (who has returned from her first year of college YEAH)



 Here is the synopsis from movies.com

A handsome veterinary student falls for a married circus performer in this romantic drama adapted from author Sara Gruen's best-selling novel, and directed by Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend). When Jacob (Robert Pattinson) meets Marlena (Reese Witherspoon), it's love at first sight -- their shared affections for an extraordinary elephant stirring profound feelings of compassion within both of them. Theirs is a love that could span lifetimes, though the wrath of Marlena's dangerously domineering husband, August (Christoph Waltz), threatens to spell tragedy for all involved.
 
Here is what Judy thought
Good but a little slow.
 
Here is what Amber thought
Robert Pattinson is hot. The film work was great.
 
Here is what my Mom thought
Very good I loved it.
 
Here is what I thought
Absolutely beautifully filmed. The movie from the first scene has such an epic quality. The sets, costumes and music were so enchanting it truly is very magical. I loved the older man who played Jacob in the beginning he really set the character of Jacob up perfectly in his brief time on the screen. I was okay with Robert Pattinson as young Jakob although I am not a huge fan. Reese Witherspoon as Marlena I thought was an odd choice when I first heard she was going to play the part....I love Reese but I kind of found her to be a little too old. I have no idea what the age difference is between the two actors but it had a very Mrs. Robinson feel to it. The actor who plays August plays the part of an abusive jerk very well. You will hate him.
There is a scene...I don't want to give anything away but there is a scene with the elephant and it just really upset me.
 In all I enjoyed the film....I think ticket prices are outrageous but I do think this film is meant to be seen in the theater...unless you are lucky enough to have one of those home theaters in your house.
I would say it is worth putting the money out and i don't think you will be disappointed.
 
Have a Magical Monday

8 comments:

Samantha Sotto said...

Great review! (But now I'm worried about the elephant scene...)

Jennifer Hillier said...

I loved this book and have been dying to see the movie. I imagine it would be an amazing experience in the theater, so maybe this weekend for sure. Thanks for the review!

Muriel said...

Great review! I will go and see it!

Jennifer said...

Sam - thanks and I would love to say don't worry but it was really sad so....you should worry.
Jennifer - I also loved the book. You should take time from your awesome writing and go see it.
Muriel - Thanks and you should go it was worth the money for the epic-ness of it!

Andrew Leon said...

Unfortunately, with all the other summer offerings, this one is going to have to wait till it hits disc. I did, actually, offer to take my wife to see it, but Pattinson has put her off, and she'd rather go see Green Lantern (what can I say? It has Ryan Reynolds. >shrug<) and Captain America.

Unknown said...

Cool, thanks for reviewing! I loved the book, can't wait to check it out!

Author Dawn Brazil said...

Thanks for reviewing this one Jennifer. I can't wait to see it. Maybe this weekend!!!

Unknown said...

well, according to blogger, the last few days of my life may not have existed were it not for my very active imagination, ...
...sigh...
... but for now our copost is up and showing...
I hope it doesn't disappear... I really enjoyed it!
Happy Friday the 13th! :-) Have a great weekend!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Alice's Room and Wonderland backgrounds kits by Irene Alexeeva