Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review Possession by Elana Johnson





I finished Possession by Elana Johnson
Elana is one of my blog friends and I am very happy to say that I enjoyed her 
debut YA novel
First of all the cover art is so cool
But most importantly she has maybe changed my mind about this whole dystopia thing
I wasn't sure how I felt about this trend
Did I like it?
Did I hate it?
I am leaning towards like now. 
Its interesting to me that the authors of this genre create this world after the world we know is gone. 
Anyway.....on to the review
Here is the synopsis from Barnes and Noble:

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn. Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn.
This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.



This was a fast paced book that held my attention from start to finish.

I found the main character Vi to be likable and her strong will was a nice change from some of the other YA novels where the girls seem to be focused on getting the guy and who cares about anything else. I also loved that in this world of rules she lived in she was still a rule breaker. Desperate to think for herself.
The idea that the Thinkers are controlling people is such a creepy concept. As someone who has always been accused of thinking for myself.....as in rebelling against what should and should not be. 
I found Vi's struggle to be independent very moving.
Being a technology whore I really enjoyed all of the use of technology in this novel. 
Teleportation?
Come on who doesn't think that would be awesome?
People controlling your mind through technology?
Not as cool but not so very far fetched.
This is a wonderful debut novel for Elana. She is a super sweet woman. Check out her blog and you will know what I am talking about. That smile of hers just forces you to like her.
So I recommend you check this book out. Even if you are not necessarily interested in the whole dystopia thing Elana's book might change your mind.
But don't listen to me. 
Be like Vi and think for yourself!







4 comments:

La Toya said...

I didn't know that this was YA Dystopia novel. Very cool! Will have to check it out :)

xo,
Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

Elana Johnson said...

Oh my heck! That's my book! Thank you for reviewing it. :)

Julie Flanders said...

This sounds really good! I'm not familiar with Elana's blog, going to check it out now.

Unknown said...

Sounds like an awesome read!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Alice's Room and Wonderland backgrounds kits by Irene Alexeeva