Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me

Today I am 39.
I thought that on this momentous day it would be fitting to share some extremely embarrassing moments (and photos) about the woman behind the blog.
So here you go .......
I was a bit of a tomboy in my youth so climbing trees was a natural occurrence. One day I was down the New Jersey shore with my best friend Mary. We decided to climb the tree that was is her yard. It was a massive tree with branches that extended out over her fence shading the pavement on the other side. Up we went and as we were making our way across the longest bough with the intention of dropping down onto the pavement beyond Mary's neighbor appeared out of nowhere walking with a boy whom we thought was just so cool.
If I may pause here for a moment to tell one thing before going on....I was (still am) a late bloomer in the bosom department. Mary's neighbor was not....
anyway where was I?......So we were shimmying across this massive bough when here comes the neighbor and hot guy.
 Suddenly I loose my grip and I begin to slip. Wrapping my arms tightly around the tree I decide it is best to lower myself for the jump down....and as I am sliding my shirt gets caught on a nubby piece of wood....so there I am arms raised above my head preparing for the drop to the pavement with my shirt pulled up to my neck sad pathetic training bra exposed for all the world (hot guy included) to see.
Needless to say they laughed and I died of humiliation.
I was 13

My parents were very strict when raising their brood of children...can't say I blame them I have a hard enough time keeping my two in line I can not imagine eleven...so anyway one of the biggest no no's was underage drinking, which happens to be 21 for those who do not know.... ahem anyway.... One night the summer before my senior year in high school I was at a keg party and had a few too many but thinking I was so awesome I thought for sure I could make it past my mother and up to my room without her knowing. After all it was summer time life was good. I had no worries. I was invincible.
Plus the windows would be open in the house so maybe she wouldn't smell the alcohol.
 The whole way home I kept going over in my head exactly what I was going to do.
I would walk up on the porch
 if she was sitting on the porch I would say "Hi mom" and then go inside and straight upstairs.
If she was sitting in the living room I would walk in say "Hi mom" and then go straight upstairs.
It was a fool proof plan. Unfortunately not for this fool...When I reached my house my mom was not on the porch but the flashing light coming from the living room window told me she was watching television. I carefully walked up the five steps leading to the porch. After making it to the top I congratulated myself and proudly strut towards the awaiting screen door. Pulling it open with the confidence of a professional I proceeded to slam the screen door right into my face.
Which caused me to say a bad word.
Which cause my mother to gasp.
Which cause me to fall backwards.
Which caused her to come to my aid.
...Which caused me to get myself grounded for the rest of the summer.
I was 17.



Here is the thing I have embarrassed myself so many times that I don't get embarrassed any more.
I don't know if its the benefit of age or simply because I am comfortable enough with myself to not take myself too seriously.
I don't know.
 I do know that I am not afraid of getting older. The truth is that I kind of like the freedom that being in my thirties has given me.
So here is to the last year in my thirties!





Hope you all have a Terrific Tuesday!








13 comments:

Cindy said...

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays!

Love the photos and stories.

Deborah Lawrenson said...

Happy Birthday, Jennifer! 39 is a lovely age - still young, but wiser now...enjoy!

Kerry Ann @Vinobaby's Voice said...

Enjoy your day and best wishes for an amazing year. Oh, and I love the hair in the "classic" photos (I have similar pictures hidden myself). One good thing about growing older is hopefully our tastes improve!

エイプリル said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great one! And here's to many, many more! :)

Melissa said...

Happy birthday!!! I love the thirties! I too have a few of these stories and pictures in my closet. My kids have seen the one that so resembles the last one you posted and NEVER let me forget it. Good times! Have a great day:)

Andrew Leon said...

Happy Birthday!
I enjoyed my 30s, but I'm not sure, yet, how I feel about having left them :(

Great stories!

Julie Flanders said...

Happy Birthday, Jennifer!
Great stories, and I loved the photos. The school uniforms bring back memories! :)

Author Dawn Brazil said...

Happy Birthday, Jennifer. LOL on the stories. We all have those funny, embarrassing moments. Well, maybe not as bad as your shirt over the head one but we have them. LOL Hope you have or had the best day!!!

Elliot Grace said...

...Happy Birthday Jennifer:)

Lovin the 80's hair!

EL

Jennifer said...

Thanks everyone it was a very good day!

Jennifer Hillier said...

Love these pictures! You totally remind me of myself in your kilt picture... I had one just like it, only it was red and navy. Ahhhh those were the days.

Have a wonderful birthday!

Muriel said...

Happy b'day! Sorry I am a bit late...just back from a remote place...I will turn 39 in November , so I am glad that you had a nice day! Let me know how it goes...

Samantha Sotto said...

Happy birthday!!! :D

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Alice's Room and Wonderland backgrounds kits by Irene Alexeeva