Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Traffic Light

Today I wanted to post my Moment that I shared at http://www.smithmag.net/
If you have never visited this site
you should
Although be careful if you are hopping on while at work because it may cause you to be fired
as you will become so obsorbed in the stories and 6 Word Memoirs that when you finally look up
from your computer it will be dark outside and you didn't do a single work related task all day!
If you do stop by I submit as Jennyjoy my Six Word Memoir is
 "Another reputation ruined by air quotes"
I'm weird I know.
Submit your own they are addicting!
Anyway I digress...below is my Moment that I submitted and it was featured for about a month on the first page of their site.
I hope you enjoy it and have a wonderful tuesday!


Traffic Light
As I rushed to an appointment, I raced my car though a very yellow light just on the cusp of turning red. I thought for sure I had made it. The lights of the police car behind me told me I was wrong. I nervously told my six-year-old daughter in the back seat that everything was okay. She didn't seem concerned. As the officer approached my window he asked, "Do you know why I stopped you?" Before I could even begin to make an excuse, I heard the squeeky sound of the back window opening. Turning, I saw my daughter thrust her hand out the window as if raising her hand in class. Then she said, "I know why you stopped her, sir. She went right through that red light." The officer could barely contain his laughter as he leaned against my car and peered into the back window at my darling big-mouthed daughter. She proceeded to tell him that he shouldn't worry, because she would tell her Dad as soon as we get home. The officer handed back my license and told me he wasn't going to give me a ticket as he hoped my daughter's wisidom was lesson enough. Laughing the whole way back to his car, he slide back out into traffic, leaving me alone with my judge and jury. "You should know better Mom," my daughter said, shaking her head with disappointment her little fingers pressing the button to roll the window back up. I knew three things instantly.
My daughter was growing up fast while I raced about not realizing it.
It is just as important for our children to be proud of us as it is for us to be proud of them.
And the next time I am in a rush, I need to leave her home.
My daughter is now nineteen and away at college. I am proud of her. I am still working on making her proud of me.





6 comments:

Author Dawn Brazil said...

I love that story. Kids are so precious. I'm going to have to check out that site also. Thanks for sharing.

Muriel said...

Nice story. Kids are so confident sometimes...I once got a parking ticket (actually, more than once, things are really complicated in London), and the first thing my daughter did when we got back home was to tell my husband. It can be tough to be a Mum!

Andrew Leon said...

That's awesome! Great story.
My younger two are good that way, too.

Samantha Sotto said...

Great story! LOL. Ah, kids...:D (And I think you are already making your daughter proud :D )

Creepy Query Girl said...

awe, what a cute story! YOu have a beautiful daughter and I'm sure she's grown up to be very honest and frank! lol

Julie Flanders said...

That's such a fabulous story, and the pictures are wonderful. Congratulations on having it featured!
Love the picture of your daughter when she was little, what a cutie! :)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Alice's Room and Wonderland backgrounds kits by Irene Alexeeva